Sunday, October 7, 2012

Kona: October 7th--later that day!

Had yet another great day here in Kona!  As I mentioned earlier today, Sparty, Judy and I all got up before 6am and made our way over to the PATH 5k race this morning.  We all finished with smiles on our faces.  I ran 23:34, which of course is very slow.  However, there is a very good reason for this.  And that reason is that I AM SLOW!  I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is.  I did this in 22:17 in 2010.  So about 25 sec/mile slower.  This isn't any surprise as I have been about this much slower than 2009/2010 all season.  I have some thoughts about this (bio-mechanical issues) and how to try to address them this off-season, but that is a thought for another day, several months from now.

In any event, I won my AG so I guess it isn't all bad!  Nice to get my first win here in Kona!

Later Dave and I went out for a bike ride--we set our bikes up in race mode as a final shake down of our race set-ups.  I felt great the whole ride.  I went out 18 miles and averaged over 23 mph on 195 watts (nice tail-wind).  I ended up averaging 19.6 mph for 36 miles--not bad given the modest wind today.  On that topic, the winds have been strangely quiet during the 6 days that we have been here.  Any of these first 6 days here would have led to very fast times.  I suppose this means that race day will be anything but.  All outside my control so I won't spend anytime thinking about it.

My training stats for this taper week look like this:

Swim: 6350 yards
Bike: 111 miles
Run: 17.7 miles
Time: 10:27

Here are a couple of pics from today courtesy of Sparty's iPhone:

Sparty and I before the 5K.   The two 55-59 AG winners.  Out on the Queen K:

T



1 comment:

jlchristofferson74 said...

Can't wait to see you in a couple days dad!!! love you<3