Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tour de Lums and Mike Clark

My company, MIOGA Ventures is sponsoring this year's Tour de Lums which is a Special Olympics cycling event. We are going to dedicate the event to Mike Clark. Mike (aka Iron Mike) was a great guy and fellow AG triathlete here in Delaware. He passed away unexpectedly this March. Mike is the reason I did my first IMFL back in 2004. We competed many times through the years and we probably split all of all our races. Mike was similar to me in that he was a decent swimmer and runner but his strength was on the bike. As a result our races were characterized by us being near each other throughout the whole race. The last time we raced was the 2007 Eagleman where I beat him by 14 minutes. However, since I was 1 week short of my 50th BD, the WTC rules at the time had me race in the 45-49 AG. Mike, in the 50-54 AG scored the last Kona slot. I remember kidding him about this and telling him that I would take it back from him in 2008. He told me he doubted it. We never got a chance to race that race.

Anyways the TDL will be in Mike's honor this year and I'll carry him with me in Canada in 10 days....

No comments: