Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Penticton!

Left Phiily Tuesday evening and flew to Vancouver. Easy flight and arrived 45 minutes early. US air even upgraded me--sweet! Everything arrived in one piece and I loaded up the rental and drove to Abbotsford and crashed around 11. Up at 5:30 and rolled into Penticton at 9:30. My room was ready so checked right in. Off to a good start!

Weather was cool, windy and rainy this morning. White caps on the lake. Cleared a little as the day progressed but stayed windy. never got above 72--I would have taken today for an IM even with the rain. I drove the course and the biking conditions were no where near as bad as Austria. However the forecast doesn't look so good. the front page headline in the Penticton Herald today was: "Triathletes must also beat Okanagan heat." here are a couple of lines from the story that followed:

"Severe muscle cramps, nausea and headaches associated with dehydration are bad enough on their own, let alone when swimming, cycling and running 226 kilometers in less than 17 hours."

"Despite the dismal weather the Okanagan has been experiencing, Ironman athletes can expect a hot, sunny day on Sunday. Weather forecasters are predicting 30 C (86 F), but it will feel more like 36 (97) degrees--making dehydration a big concern for athletes. To Joe Dixon, race director for the 2008 Subaru Ironman Canada, high temperatures like those expected on Sunday are the worst-case scenario in terms of conditions."

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for something that hasn't happened yet but I've seen this movie several times before and it ALWAYS has a sad ending. I'm hoping the forecast will change again!

I was successful it putting together my bike--at least I think--I'll ride it tomorrow to find out for sure. what a pain--3+ hours. It is needlessly complicated in it's design.

Nice little 30 minute run tonight. some bland pasta and chicken and then grocery shopping. Unpacking tonight. Living the life!

All by myself. Not nearly as much fun without my wingman or fans. I have a nuce big suite--anyone want to join me?

No comments: