Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Eagleman decision

Have decided to bail on E-man--here's why:

1. Raced last week with a ton of training in my legs and my race performance suffered (big surprise!!!). This was by design as I'm playing catch-up getting ready for IM Germany (post bike crash) and I certainly didn't want to taper for a sprint.

2. E-Man is an entirely different beast--not a good choice to train through a half-Ironman and so I'd have to taper for 4-5 days and then recover for 2-3 days post race. As a result, I'd lose a week of training in the 19-26 day out period before IMGER. with a 14+ day taper this seemed like a suboptimal choice from the IM race perspective. If I was already IM fit and ready to go it would be a different story but I'm still building and I need the training time.

3. I really wanted to set a new PR at the H-IM distance at E-man but it's going to be 89 degrees and very humid and I've seen that movie before. Further, my run is not ready to set a PR. When I did my 4:43 I ran a 1:38 half-marathon and I'd need to do that again to have a chance. No way I can with my leg. In February, i thought I'd be ready but with the bike crash and the slow nature of my rehab the best I could realistically expect (in good conditions) would be a 1:50 or so--won't get it done.

4. I've done E-man 4 times already and I already have my Kona slot.

5. I rode 115 miles today and went through 56 miles in 2:40:XX (faster than Oceanside and an average of 21 mph). I did this with my road bike, training wheels, trafic lights, a road helmet, a warm-up, etc. this was the fastest H-IM distance training ride I've ever done. I'm making progress on the bike and getting faster each week. for this ride overall I was 5 minutes faster (the wind picked up in the last couple of hours of my ride) than last week (36 minutes faster than 4 weeks ago), 6 watts higher over a ride that was a half mile longer. Skipping E-man will allow me to get one more over-distance ride in before the taper.

6. I need another long-run (approaching 3 hours) and can do it on Sunday or Monday if I skip E-man.

Call me a wimp but that's where it's at!

No comments: