Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Mission Accomplished!

Getting on a plane to fly home now.  It was quite the epic experience on the 22nd.  It was by a long shot the hardest single day athletic challenge I've ever faced.  We had a close to 25% DNF rate.  It was 25 degrees at the start and the water was somewhere between 58 and 62 degrees.

I had a fantastic swim....my third fastest IM swim.  The bike was amazingly difficult...it took me 7:23--over an hour longer than my previous slowest.  I thought I did really well on the bike...so many people were not even able to make the bike cutoff.  Despite being conservative on the bike, my legs were dead on the run.  I persevered with quite a bit of walking and finished in 14:53, which is about 70 minutes longer than any other IM I've ever done.  Despite this, I finished in the top 35% or so of my AG and I did manage to snag the XC Kona slot!  So the miracle has happened again and I can look forward to toeing the line in Kona for my third time next October (2014).

It was a humbling experience...so difficult, but so beautiful and rewarding!  I'll file is full race report in a few days....

It was great having my Mom, Judy and Anders with and helping me.  I feel pretty good right now...sore for sure, but happy to have number twelve in the books....very satisfying!

No comments: