Sunday, June 17, 2012

RAAM Post 10

WE are chillin' in Tuba City, AZ (TS 10) about 9:30PM EST and 6:30 PM local.  We are about an hour and a half out from starting our next shift.  The B team is holding it's own and we are currently in 6th--we're a good half an hour behind the Sacremento Police as they are clearly very good climbers.

I took a sleeping pill and actutally slept for 3-4 hours so that will at least suffice to get me through our 8-9 hour night time shift tonight.  We leave Tuba City and climb up to Kayenta, AZ and then leave AZ and head towards Mexican Hat Utah in the heart of monument valley--which unfortunately we will not see because it will be dark--and then we head onto Montezuma Creek, Utah where we'll stop at TS13 after about a 160 miles or so or hard riding.

I awoke a couple of hours before their arrival so i went over to Sonic Burgers and ate a Cheese
Burger and admired the Arizona vistas as I ate outside in what feels like fairly comfortable 95 degrees weather.

Our team is doing really well for folks that were just thrown together.  We do a few things wrong but we quickly respons and don't look back.  Lot's of can I help, would you please, thank-you very much going around.  I really love my mini team of Roger, Jon and Chris as well as our drivers, Ted and Simon.  When you're flying at 30 mph down an decline in the middle of the night it's reassuring to have a competent driver 15 feet behind you showing you the way and literally getting your back.

I suspect the next two days will create some challenges as we head up over the rockies and cumulative fatigue begins to build but so far, so good.

I'll update you from the road!

No comments: