Thursday, April 8, 2010

Crash! Ouch! Part 4

OK--closing in on 72 hours post crash--here's the story:

My shoulder is just about 100%--I can still feel a little stiffness which I'm sure is related to some residual swelling. I still have a red scab/blotch on the outside of my right shoulder about the size of a silver dollar. Whether or not this becomes yet another permanent scar on my shoulder (I already have 4) remains to be seen. Judy remains convinced my bump is bigger but I don't think so.

From a performance standpoint, I jumped back in the pool yesterday and swam an easy 2000 yds to check it out. Today I went after it: 500 wu; 20 X 100 @ 1:28-1:29 going on 1:40/ 500 wd. While I normally eschew 100s when I'm in IM mode the very short rest combined with swimming 4-5 secs/100 under my LC race pace makes for a tough endurance wo/--particularly during the last 5 repeats. Given the above my guess is that I'm more than capable of swimming mid 32s at New Orleans. Before Germany I'd like to build this w/o up to 40 repeats.

My satorius was still sore this morning. I've been icing it, wearing a compression wrap and taking advil for the last 48+ hours. I did think it was a bit better today than yesterday (swelling going down?). Running still seemed unwise (although I thought about it) but I did get back outside on the bike for a "Do you still love me?" ride. BTW, this ride was on my Cervelo which survived the crash with no more than a destroyed seat and a broken Connex connector--the chain itself was still good to go!...unbelievable. anyways, I rode pretty easy for a 38+ miles and the leg felt fine. My guess is that I'm good to go full bore on the bike again and I might be able to start running either tomorrow or Saturday....

A unanticipated side benefit of the crash is I'm very hungry to hammer in training again--of course, I'm about to taper for NOLA but it's still good to be eager to hammer!

No comments: