Thursday, February 18, 2010

To knee or not to knee....

Not really a question.....

Saw my ortho today and got my first injection of this the 13thh or 14th injection cycle. The good news is that I went a whole 6 months without it this time and my knee has been holding up (cept for a few rough spots here and there).

We got into an interesting talk where I told him that when i drop 25 pounds as I have recently that while it's only 13% or so it seems to make a big difference--especially as my run fitness comes up and I run faster--and I think-- in a more biomechanically efficient manner. He told me about Vicki Huber--a friend of mine who ran the 5K in a couple of Olympics who lives near us at the Shore--and she has had a similar experience. Not the weight thing because if she dropped 25 pounds she'd weigh like 7 pounds, but that she feels less pain the faster and more efficiently she runs. Vicki also gets Syn-Visc injections so she has similar knee pain as i do.

Anyways, he once again expressed amazement that I can continue to run with my knee--he says it defies logic and all of his experience. He told me he thought I would be able to do triathlons for 1-2 more years at most--this was 5 years ago when he first diagnosed my lack of articular cartilage. He also said at this point he had no idea of how long I can continue before I need to get it replaced or some other radical solution--"we'll find out". He said he was no longer in the business of telling me what I can't do with my knee and that he looked forward to my on-going experiments....

Back to the lab!

No comments: