Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A little cross training....

So last Thursday, alex and I fled the land of the endless snowfalls here in wilmington to go searching for more snow in Park City, Utah! And we found quite a lot of it. 6 inches the first day, more than 12 new the second and the third a brillantly sunny day where we went powder hounding in the trees--here are a couple of pics from that last day:



Need less to say, I took a bit of a break from the tri scene and really enjoyed a great time with my youngest son.

Training stats for the week:

97 miles on the bike
6000 yards with my bathing suit on
32 miles running
EFX, weights and I'm giving myself credit for 10 hours of snowboard cross-training. I know the latter doesn't matter as far as tri-training goes but I do want to be mindful of the impact on my body. With the boarding and a short run at altitude (7500+) each day and all the shoveling last week I started this week quite sore.

As a consequence, I took a whole day off (my travel day back on Monday) to start this week which turns out to be my first rest day of 2010. It also ended a 16 day consecutive running streak which is a bit of a record for me (post knee).

This week has a lot going on with two trips to NYC but I did do a 30 minute tempo run @ 7:30/mile yesterday. I won't say that this was an easy run but it did feel like a solid tempo effort. My ending HR was 165 which is at the upper end on my 1/2 Mary range and my HR dropped 37 bpm over the next two minutes. All of this says that I'm developing a pretty nice aerobic base run-wise (rapid HR decceleration) but that I need to do more tempo work to get to where I want to be. I'd say that this result is consistent with a 1:38-1:40 open half-marathon run fitness and probably around 21:20-21:30 5k capability. I'm aiming of-course to get my tempo runs down to or below 7 min/mile so a ways to go--but getting within spitting distance.

Tomorrow, I get my first injection and I'm hoping my knee doesn't swell-up so i can stay focused on my run training--I have a speed and long run session still to go this week....

No comments: