Sunday, February 7, 2010

Swow and Stats

So we officially received between 26 and 28 inches. For the Philly area, two of the three worse snow storms in 120+ years have already occurred this winter. We are already over 58 inches for the winter--which is just a few inches off the 120+ year record and we have another storm coming in Tuesday night. By comparison, Boston has just 28 inches this year and I'm pretty sure all my Cali based Oceanside competitors haven't seen a snow flake for years....tough training environment for the home team!

On that note, I did put up a solid IM calibre training week. 26:20 of training time yielded 238 miles on the bike, 46+ miles running and 11,250 yards in the pool (plus some weights). The bike was solid--given what we had to deal with this week (two snow storms and over 30 inches total). The swim was an hour short (3000 yards) of what I wanted but the Y closure didn't help in that regard. The run total is very satisfying. The last time I ran that much in a week was in December of 2007.

Today's speed w/o was a good one. The speed section included 3 sets:

5 X (1 min @ 6:58/mile, 1 min @ 9:31/mile)
4 X (3 min @ 6:58/mile, 1 min @ 6:18/mile/ 6 min @ 9:31/mile)
10 X (15 sec @ 6:00/mile, 45 sec @ 9:31/mile)

The fast stuff worked out to 3.49 miles at an average pace of 6:44/mile. The middle set was a real confidence builder--basically I was doing a cruise interval (around 5K pace) for 3 minutes and then running a hard extra minute. The 3.5 miles/23.5 minutes of speed work were both new high water marks this season.

Looking ahead--I'm going to try to jam as much into the next 4 days as i can. I do have to be in NYC on Wednesday and I also have my first knee injection of this cycle on Thursday morning so that will create some limitations. Than it's off to Park City with Alex for three days of shredding on our boards and some Olympics watching at night--how sweet is that?

No comments: