Friday, September 23, 2022

Wow--2 posted in 1 day! Here is a quick recap of my racing season to date...

 Sorry this is so belated.  I previously published race reports from my first two triathlons this season but haven't had time to share my other two tris and the 3 open water swim races I participated in this year.  To make amends, here is a quick summary of my season (with just Kona too go):


1. 5/19  Bear Sprint

1st triathlon race of the season and 166th of my career.  I finished 1st in my Age Group (out of 9).  Solid race with a very encouraging bike spit (23mph). (Race report below)

2.  6/18  Belleplain Super Sprint

I finished as 3rd OA male and was 1st of 5 in my Age Group.  Very small race.  Pulled hamstring in T2 trying to get Alpha flys on (last race with those!).  Had to take it easy for a few weeks after that.  (Race report below).

3.  7/3  Poverty to Cove 2.4-mile Open water Swim

Very cool first time for this event!  A classic swim of the Cape May life-guarding crew.  You basically jump in the ocean and take a right and head down to the bottom of New Jersey.  Definitely current assisted. I swam 54:41 for the Ironman distance swim.  As good as that sounds, it was only so-so I felt.  I finished 91st out of 230 and was 6th out of 24 in the 60-69 year old age group.  I'll be back!

4.  7/9  1.2-mile point-to-point Bay Swim

Great race for me.  We didn't get a lot of help from the tides--some but not much.  I really hammered this race....as hard as I've swum in a long time.  31:35 for the half-Ironman distance.  finished 31st out of 121 and was 1st in my 65-69 yo Age Group.  Very encouraging.

5. 7/9  Stone Harbor Sprint

Tough day in the office.  Leg had not fully healed from hamstring pull…had to baby it on the run.  Probably a bit tired from swim race the day before as well. Finished 4th in my Age Group.  Worse race of the year.

6.  7/30  Laurel Lake Super Sprint

Small race--just 41. 1st male overall (only the second time this has happened in what was my 170th Triathlon).  1st in Age Group out of 6.  encouraging race.

7.  8/29  Cedar Island 2.4-mile Circle Swim.

Great race and a pretty big deal for New Jersey.  I had a very good swim.  63:31 for the IM distance with probably only about 2-5 minutes of tidal push in the very end of this swim around the island.  76th out of 251 in what is the most competitive open water swim in the mid-Atlantic.  1st in Age Group out of 6.  

------

You probably notice I wasn't able to race Eagleman 70.3 due to social commitments and Anders and I weren't able to race Boulder 70.3 because he had covid and we scrapped the race.

Oh well!  I'm happy with the season and now here I am jumping up from my sprints and super sprints to the Big One in Kona!!!  My last dance, but I am ready!

Lot's more to come over the next two weeks as I have all the time in the world now!

No comments: