Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Kona 9/27

The weather has been interesting here as of late.  Yesterday was crazy nice and this morning was very mild as well.  I went down to the pier around 7:20am, which is about the time my wave will start on 10/6.  It was only 76 degrees and the swell was way down.  I did a shorter swim...about 1,250 yards and once again averaged 2:02/100...not great but maybe that's all my body will be able to do this year....time will tell but if so, I'll just have two deal with it.  I felt pretty good and hit the first 500 yards under 10 minutes....I guess there was current flowing south today...it's kinda strange because it seems to be different every day...

I have limited data, but the weather seems very different this year than I remember in years past (this could be a function of my memory of my times here 8-12 years ago).  Around noon each day the clouds/fog/vog flows over and down the volcanoes across the spine of the island and the intense sunshine seems to go away.  The heat feels less intense and today we even had some rain in town, which made things seem downright pleasant!   Last night we were actually a bit chilly (we sleep with windows open each night and over the last couple of days have generally kept the AC off to help facilitate acclimatization).  I would have gladly taken the weather either of the last two days for the race day weather...unfortunately, we don't have that choice.

After the swim I went over to the new Safeway and bumped into Sebastian Kienle doing his shopping.  I had my 2010 IM Euro Champs t-shirt on (IM Germany) which I think he got a kick out of.  We exchanged pleasantries....he seems as nice and humble in person as his public/professional persona is.  So fun for this old Age Grouper to see folks like him and Lionel and Magnus as you bop around town!

I then went out and did a couple hour ride on the Queen K and felt very good.  The wind was blowing more today, mostly a sidewind where I was, and I definitely had to concentrate to keep things under control.  Nothing too challenging but I definitely had to pay attention.

Judy and I went out for a brisk 3-mile walk near our house...tomorrow I have to convince my knee to allow me to run again!

Anders arrived around 3:30 (as did our friends Tim and Midge Kerr) and I picked him and his gear up and he joined us at our rental home here.  He went out for a 6.5-mile run and put his bike together--all good! We ordered some seafood bowls from Umekes and took some pics of the sunset.  Tomorrow he joins the Wyn Elite Racing Team for some type of photo shoot, which should be fun!

I also finished configuring my bike's hydration set-up.  I'll post some pics tomorrow.  Speaking of pics, here are some from today:











No comments: