Sunday, September 25, 2022

Kona: 9/23-9/24

 A post to update you on the last two days in Kona.

Yesterday (Saturday the 23rd), we again went down to the pier for a tune-up swim.  This time I decided to run down to the pier in my speedo....I know when you take the Underpants Run Pledge you promise not to do that, but it's been 8-years since my last UPR and I think there is a 7-year statute of limitations so I thought I'd get it in before this years UPR....





Anyways, for the second consecutive day I swam out to about even with the Sheraton, which is about 2,200-2,300 yards in total.  Aldo for the second consecutive day I had a depressingly slow swim.  Well off what I'm capable of....for the moment I'm going to chalk it up to the full-day of travel on Thursday and the big time zone change (plus, I was pretty dehydrated in retrospect).  I decided to take today off swim-wise and I'll be looking for a much better swim tomorrow....

One highlight of the swim was that I exited the water about the same time as the "Danish Hit Squad" and Judy took a selfie with Magnus Ditlev, who has to be one of the nicest guys in the world....


Both Anders and I think he has a real shot at the title this year.  Since this is his first Kona (and he is just 24) he will have that working against him, but I think he's the real deal and with his great results at Roth and PTO Dallas, he is obviously in great form.

I ran back from my crappy swim and got my BMC out for another couple hour shake-out ride on the Queen K and I shifted my front derailleur as I rolled out of our driveway and I heard a "pop" and my shifter stopped working.  Snapped-cable, end of ride about 8 feet into it.  

Luckily, I was able to take it over to Kona Bikeworks and they quickly put it back into top-notch working order.  I was even able to get out for a 75-minute spin as the sun was going down.  I felt really good on the bike as I think I had addressed the dehydration issue (btw, it is still hot and humid here in case you are wondering).

Last night, we walked out on the lava in front of our house and took a bunch of pictures as the sun was setting:








We went to Umekes for some "bowls" and crashed by 9....

The morning, I left the house around 7am and drove the 35+ miles north to the town of Kawaihae and parked my car at the market there at the bottom of the road to Hawi.  I then rode the 18 or so miles up to Hawi and back. The 7-mile or so climb and descent adjacent to Hawi Town were quite mellow this morning.  I had virtually no wind until the last 3 or so miles and I was able to ride the descent without the usual white-knuckle side-winds that are typical there.  I've probably done this ride 10 or so times through the years and this morning was probably the easiest.  Anyways, I cruised along at an overall average of about 17 mph, which is reasonable, I think given the 1,600+ feet of climbing and the modest wattage I put into it....I'd love for race day to be this mellow!


On the way back I saw Lionel Saunders cruising south towards Waikola and gave him a shout out.  As an aside, I think LS is also one of the all-time great dudes and I would love nothing more than to see him grab the crown on the 8th....going be hard to do with the Bergen Boys toeing the but I would really love to see that!

Really happy with the ride and I'm looking forward to laying down a more normal swim tomorrow!  Onwards and Upwards!







No comments: