Sunday, April 29, 2012

size does matter

Ok, here are the summary stats from this week:

Swim: 10,500 yards
Bike: 282 miles
Run: 42 miles
Time: 27:08

so obviously, a big training week.  Certainly, it would look right at home during my 14-week IM build that starts July 1st.  Although, if I was truly in IM mode, I would have worked out 6-8 fewer times and several of my workouts would have been considerably longer.

Still, this was my first real deal, I'm serious about this, week of the year.  It's of-course, too early for this, but with a three week window between races and no work overnight travel (for once--yea!), I was able to make triathlon job one this week.  and to be honest, I skipped 3-4 workouts because I could see where the week was heading (30+ hours).

The actual doing of this week was great.  the quality of the workouts was at a much higher level so I brought both quality and quantity up this week.  I'll spare you the details, but it was good!  I'm thrilled that I can just crank out such a work-load and still have my body say no big deal and still have my mind wanting to do more.  I could feel the fitness beginning to come on this week.  Exciting!

Next week, I need to step back from the ledge and have an easy week.  It's too early to peak up but this week told me that it's available.  I could get a whole lot faster in 6-8 weeks if I really wanted to.  I'll wait.

I race next weekend at Devilman--just my 3rd of the season--a little light up-front this year, but the rest of the year has solidified at this point and it clearly is the most exciting endurance challenge of my life for sure.

I have Kona and Zona as you know.  The Race Across America Relay team that I am on is locked in.  RAMROD with Bill in July.  and Anders and I were accepted onto a 12/30/12-1/20/13 Cerro Aconcagua Expedtion.  Really Sweet!

My head is securely screwed on.  My body is surprising me.  My left elbow pain is now completely gone--I hammered swimming this week with no problem.  My right hammie is weak, but I'm pretty certain its not going to be a problem this year going forward.  My knee, with my aggressive injection protocol, feels really good (that means I only have 5-6 really sharp pains per run).  In fact, I keep holding myself back because of my history--I could have easily run 60 miles this week....

We'll see.  But I'm in a great place right now!

No comments: