Saturday, July 3, 2010

Locked and loaded

About 15 hours to game time and I'm all checked in and ready to go. The schedule didn't work out for me to get my pre-race swim in today so it's just put the goggles on and go tomorrow.

Officially no wetsuit as they are forecasting 80 degree water tomorrow. I saw 43 degrees (109 F!) on the Samsung building this afternoon. that was obviously in the sun as it really is (only) 93 or so right now.

I've decided to treat tomorrow as: 1. a dress rehearsal for Kona; and 2. an exercise in restraint and surviability. Here's the plan:

- I'm going to try to swim very easy--especially for the first loop. I'm a little intimidated by a fresh water non-wetsuit swim and my prime objective is avoid any drama--I'll gladly take the time penalty.

-for both transitions, I'm going to take a bit of extra time to make sure I have plenty of sun lotion on and that I hydrate a bit before getting on with it.

-I'm going to ride my bike pretty much like a training ride in NJ--say 175-185 watts. I know this will get me up to close to 6 hours but so be it. I need to be super conservative to ensure that I can actually finish this race.

-the run will be what it is. I'll go from aid station to aid station. I expect to walk--maybe a lot--during the race...if it's really brutal, I'll start early.

-the goal is to finish--the time is no longer on my agenda although ny guess is that it will be on the wrong side of 12 hours (at least). I've got 15 to get this in the books and I'll take em all if necessary!

No comments: