Saturday, September 5, 2020

Back to Racing Part 2: Lake Lenape Triathlon

Wow, I can't believe I went a month plus and didn't add any updates to the blog--there is a bunch of backlogged updates so let me first start with a race report from what will be my only triathlon of the 2020 season...

So, on July 18th in this year of Covid, we were actually able to race a legit, real world triathlon.  It was a bit different than the normal Jersey sprint in that it was a time trial event where each competitor went off in 30 second intervals, only 2 bikes per rack (not really enforced), masks in transition and until just before you jumped in the water, no pre-race meeting, no awards ceremony, etc.   But hey, it was racing!

I signed up for the Sprint race which entailed a 0.25 mile swim/9 mile bike/1.5 mile run.  As it turned out there were 88 people entered and in my 60-64 YO Age Group, there were 5 who actually raced.  As an aside Mickey Syrop, was also entered and I was hopeful we would have a great race given the extensive competitive history we have over the years but alas, he did not make it.  The other 4 guys in my Age Group I didn't know anything about and in any event, with the TT format, it was impossible to know how I was doing competitively at any point....but it was time to race again!

Weather wise it was typical Jersey July--modest wind, around 85 degrees when we finished and very humid.  Not the best racing conditions but the shortness of the race made this pretty much a non-issue.

The Swim

Lake Lenape is a typical Jersey Pine Barrens lake with plenty of cedar in the lake and very low visibility.  It's a race venue I've raced at many times through the years and one where I've enjoyed some success at  (including the top overall bike in a 350+ competitor field).  This year's edition had us swimming in a different location than prior years but the bike course was very similar (albeit, a bit shorter) and the run was entirely different as well.

Midge was first in the water at 8:00am.   I was given the 8:15-8:30 slot, so I did the math and got in line (6 feet apart) at the appropriate spot.  At about 8:24 it was my turn to jump in.  The water was a pleasant 73 degrees (a bit warm, but not an issue given the short duration of this swim).  It was a simple counter clock-wise box swim, which favors me as I breathe on my left.  With the TT start most of the swim was solo and I swam a solid but not red-lined effort.

I exited the water in 7:23 (1:41/100 yds), in what would turn out to be 16th best overall (83.0 %-tile).  I was a bit faster than Midge and Tim, two friends that I'm a comparable swimmer with,  so overall, I'm pretty satisfied with this effort.  I had the fastest time in my Age Group by a considerable margin and here was were we stood after the swim:

RC          -------

Green     +3:05

Nolan     +3:21


Transition One

As I ran up the steep hill by the lake I felt something wet and heavy around my neck--my buff, which I had used in transition earlier and forgot to take off when I wore the disposable mask while waiting in line! I laughed out loud--a bit rusty I guess--and I must confess, I was pretty slow moving through transition.   My T1 time was 2:48, which was a middling 42nd Overall (53.4 %-tile).  I was also middle of the pack in my Age Group with the 3rd Fastest T1.  Despite this, I still had a sizable lead as I hopped on my bike:

RC         -------

Green     +2:11

Nolan     +3:41


The Bike

I felt like I was still in reasonably good bike shape, despite shutting down my normal IM build training due to CoVid.  I rode a solid ride and began upping my effort as the race progressed.  I finished the bike in 25:26, which if the course was accurately measured would have been an average of 21.2 mph.  It felt faster than that and indeed I did have the 2nd fastest bike split OA (98.9 %-tile).  I also put some significant time on my Age Group competitors, effectively sealing the Age Group victory:

RC          -------

Green      +8:57

Nolan     +14:55


Transition Two

T2 went much more quickly and smoothly than T1.  I completed the bike/run transition in 1:13, which was good enough for 13th OA (86.4 %-tile).  I had the second fastest T2 in my Age Group but further widened my lead on my Age Group:

RC         -------

Green    +10:43

Nolan    +14:48


The Run

I had not really run in 6 weeks so even though it was a short run, I took it easy.  The course was mostly on paths/dirt roads through the woods.  One section had a tough little hill on very loose sand--not so good for my knee!  Anyways, I persevered and finished the run in 15:16, which is a very slow 10:16/mile.  Overall, I had the 43rd fastest run (52.3 %-tile) and was second in my Age Group.  Here is how my Age Group stacked up at the finish:

RC          -------

Nolan      +12:29

Green      +14:36

My Overall time was 52:06, which was good enough for 11th (88.6 %-tile).  This was my 159th triathlon through the years and my 51st Age Group victory (32.1%).  Short and sweet and unfortunately, the only time I'll get to do a Tri in 2020....first year I've ever gone undefeated 😐....





No comments: