Friday, July 31, 2020

Back to Racing--Part 1!

As I mentioned in my prior post, I actually was able to race a couple of times in these crazy Covid times.  I did an open water swim on 7/12 and a sprint triathlon on 7/18.  this post is a quick review of the Swim.

This swim was a tidal assisted point-to-point swim in the intercostal.  The tidal current was quite strong as evidenced by my results:


I'm obviously not the kind of athlete who can drop a sub 25 minute half-IM swim (those are the guys that get out of the water first at International IM races).  That said, I did swim pretty hard and there are a number of positive stats that say this was a good race for me.

Firstly, I did the race last year as well but was 59 seconds slower in 2019: 25:26.  Comparatively, there are a number of swimmers whom I train with and I think are comparable to me I out swam by I greater margin this year than last.

I'm having trouble finding then results on the web but as I recall, I finished about 20th OA out of about 80 or so swimmers.

Fun swim and great to actually race again!  I'll take it, especially given my relatively low volume of swim training!

No comments: