Monday, April 1, 2019

First Quarter in the books

Quick update on March and 1st Quarter training stats.  I had a robust month in March and was able to hit most of my volume goals despite being away for 17 days of the month.  In fact, I trained in 7 places during the month:

Wilmington
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Shenandoah National Park
New York City
Stone Harbor
Mexico

Swim

My goal for the month was 25,000 yards and I hit 27,650 yards.  For the first quarter I've logged 51,650 yards which is more than the last two years (21k and 46k).  The chart below shows the trailing 4 week average yards/week and clearly illustrates the progress I've been making in my swim training load:


For April, I plan to hit somewhere in the 25-30k yards again.


Bike

My bike volume was 867 miles for the month and has totaled 2,968 miles for there 1st quarter (up a bit from 2017 and slightly off 2018 (1,937 and 3,061).  I was aiming for around 1,000 miles during the month but the travel and the run/hike focus made that problematic.  The downward trend in my bike volume is evident in the trailing 4-week average below:



I'll shoot for around 1,000 miles in April but don't plan to get aggressive on my bike training until June (post Bolivia).

Run/Hike

I made real progress here (which was my primary focus for March) as I went 209 miles in March (well above my target) and have logged 397 miles in the first quarter.  This is comparable to my Nepal year (2017) when I did 431 miles and up a lot from 2018 (201 miles).  My goal for April is to try to get around 200 miles (or more) once again.  Here is the run/hike trailing 4 week average where my emphasis in prep for Bolivia is quite evident:




Total Time

Not surprisingly, with all of the run/hike my training time jumped to 120 hours in March and totaled 305 hours for the first quarter (3.4 hours/day).  this is up substantially from the last two years (256, 266) and exceeded my goal for the month.  I'll shoot for 100+ again this month.  The 4 week trailing average shows the upward trend in my training effort:



I also did 9 hours in the weight room during the month and made substantial body composition progress as I was able to lose 14 pounds during the month.  I'df like to lose another 8-10 before Bolivia, which should be pretty straight forward to achieve.

Onward and upward!








No comments: