Thursday, March 24, 2016

Lots of moving parts

Lots going on in the RC Triathlon and Adventure World since we last talked post the Pasadena sprint Triathlon.

Last week saw me leaving early Sunday morning (the day after the race) and flying back (all day) to DE.  Hung with Jen and then on Monday had my full annual physical.  Besides, the well-documented structural issues that I have, I'm as strong and healthy as a horse.  Good to hear.

On up to Conn. for a couple days of Board/work obligations and then a long flight back to LA on Wednesday.  My mom arrived for a 5 day visit on Saturday of last week.

In the meantime, my niece gave birth to a new baby "Sky Mitchell Morrow" and that was big news.  It was tempered somewhat by a stroke that the baby had and although its a very serious thing, the prognosis is good.

This week a close family friend passed away (at the tender age of 29) after battling some nasty Cancer for the last few years...sigh....

Alex and Jen rolled in yesterday so the whole family is here now.

Needless to say, in this year, my triathlon training gets moved to the back-burner a fair bit.  That said, the numbers from last week:

Swim: 4,000 yards
Bike: 184 miles
Run: 7.5 miles
Climb/Trek: 2 hours
Weights: 1 hour
Total time: 17:58

Looking ahead:

-Next weekend I do have a half-Ironman to do, which I'm of-course resigned to knowing that I won't really be ready for.  No worries.  I've got enough in the tank (I think) to get to the finish line and if the time is embarrassing, so be it.  That's the way it's rolling in 2016 so far.

-Judy will be heading back to DE towards the end of next week to attend the wake/funeral so I'm on my own for the race and the day or two before.

-Just learned that a fairly big-deal guy in the mountaineering world, whom we've climbed with before, is climbing Elbrus (highest mountain in Europe/Russia) from July 2 to 17.  This will be his 7th of the 7 summits and he hopes to be just the 370th or so to achieve this impressive challenge.  He is putting together a little team of people he enjoys climbing with and he's invited Anders and I to climb with him--which we have tentatively accepted.  This is quite an honor for Anders and I--plus an exciting expedition and we plan to do it.

-You might recognize that this overlaps with my Challenge Roth race of 7/17 so obviously push and shove will need to be resolved.....

-Alex and I are in the process of nailing down an early September climb of Kilimanjaro (which incidentally, would be my 5th of the 7 summits--Anders would have 5 as well after Elbrus).

-We are planning for a mid/late October AT hike through Shenandoah National--108 miles--over 7 days or so this will also be quite a challenge.

Obviously, lots of climbing/trekking stuff to focus on.  If Roth is out, triathlon will definitely need to take a bit of a back seat going forward (my 3 most important events of the year will all be climbing related).

That said, I still intend to mix it up as much as I can in the Tri world this year.  Maybe 8-10 races, probably all sprints with perhaps the exception of 1-2 Half-IMs.  My return to full IM racing may have to be pushed off into 2017....

Time will tell.....

More on the Oceanside prep and my expectations in the next few posts.....






No comments: