Monday, November 21, 2011

All Hail Spartycus

I know anyone that actually reads my blog knows that they are captive to 24/7 me triathlon news--so bear with me while I do something different.

I want to post about my friend Dave Spartin--Sparty--or I think we should all change his nickname now to Spartycus!

So I've known Spartycus for a long time. He used to work for the "evil empire" at MBNA. I worked for the "good guys" at First USA. Of course, MBNA was the greatest credit card company of all time. Part of the reason for that was Spartycus. He worked long and hard and always was the voice of reason. As a result, he did really well from a job perspective but couldn't devote the time he wanted to doing physical things.

Tht all changed a number of years ago when MBNA was sold to B of A.

Spartycus and I began to hang out and to do triathlons together. I was the "master" and he the "apprentice". (Obviously all that know me should take pity on Dave as a result). Despite my guidance, Spartycus overcame a couple decade history of sitting around and began to excel in triathlon.

Spartycus did a couple of IMs and then this weekend was one of 17 competitors in the IMXC competition at IMAZ. There he recorded the best improvement in his PR--despite phenomenal obstacles--in fact he passed out at the finish line and was a welcome guest in the medical tent afterwards.

Because of this incredible journey, he won a well deserved trip to Kona for the 35th and 2012 IM World Championship in Hawaii.

I am so proud of him and so happy for what he has achieved.

I'm looking forward to 2012 when Delaware will have at least two Kona competitors!

WELL DONE SPARTYCUS!!!

1 comment:

kdrab241 said...

That's fantastic. I worked at the bank with Steve Spartin for a few years, who I believe is Dave's brother. Congrats to you both for qualifying for Kona!