Friday, October 7, 2022

Kona--post race: DNF

Quick update, I'll post a longer version over the next couple of days.  I pretty much had the swim/bike I had planned on (at least time wise).  85 and change on the swim and 6:50ish on the bike.  A bit longer on my transitions but I was focused on trying to hydrate so pretty much on plan.

It was very difficult on the bike after the first 7 miles coming down from Kawaihae to Hawi.  I was later in the day (7:25am start) and it was very hot (Garmin read 103 degrees at one point) and there was a very strong headwind.  I had a long period (15+ miles) of what I estimated to be a 25+MPH headwind and I slowed to below15mph for nearly an hour and that and the longish distance between aid stations meant long periods between refueling.  To be clear, I'm not blaming that as the reason for my DNF (although it didn't help) as I knew about it and had planned for it.  I was really focused on hydrating and I was drinking close to 1.5L an hour but apparently it wasn't enough.

When I got out of T2 and started running my HR jacked to 170bpm and my respiratory rate was probably close 30 bpm.  I began to cramp and could feel the early onset of dizziness.  I tried slowing down (I only had to do about 20 min/mile to finish) but it seemed to get worse.  It was a long time to the first run aid station (it took nearly 2 hours for me to go from the last bike aid station to the first run aid station) and by then I was cooked.  

I made it out to the three mile mark and things were getting worse so I decided to sit down and see if I could calm things down.  In short order I threw-up 5-6 times and felt very woozy.  My right leg was cramping and twitching like a banshee and I knew that things didn't look good.  Some nice folks came over and looked after me and I tried to rehydrate as much as I could...maybe got 25-30 ozs down as I rested about 25 minutes.  When I got up and still felt quite wobbly and I ran the math on what I needed to do to finish in under 17 hours I knew that it wasn't going to happen (especially with my knee).

Off to the medical tent and I was down just under 10 pounds (on a pre-race weight of 172 pounds).  After an IV I felt a lot better and soon was able to leave with Anders and Judy.  I drank, in total about 150 oz last night and just peed once or twice so the rehydrating is well under way.

It was disappointing for sure but I am completely fine with it.  I knew before the race that this was at the edge of my ability, especially if conditions were challenging (which for the most part they always are here) and I was very fit coming in, I did all the work (nearly 400,000 yards swimming and over 10,000 miles biking), and I gave it everything I had yesterday.  But it wasn't enough.

We are now turning our attention to supporting Anders tomorrow and enjoying the privilege of having another week in paradise!  Looking ahead, I can't wait to get my knee replaced and getting on with future adventures (riding solo across the country is on the top of the list).

Thanks for sharing my adventure with me--I take comfort in that!  And as I said, I'll post a proper race report in the next few days...

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments: