Thursday, November 21, 2019

On the ground in Tempe

Judy, Anders and I arrived yesterday afternoon, J and I via the air and Anders drove across from LA.  all good here.

Lots of rain (we got soaked hiking up the ASU hill nearby before dinner last night).  Forecast is for it to clear and it looks very favorable for race day (cool, low wind, dry, sunny).  Better than Haines City for sure.

I went over to pick my bike up at Tri-Bike Transport this morning but they are a bit delayed so will need to go back this afternoon.  I saw Frankie and Troy from IM as well as Paul Huddle (Mr. underpants run in Kona).

All is good here.  I still am fighting my cold and probably will still have it on race day but it's really not a major concern at this point.  My tendonitis on the top of my left foot is an issue.  Frankly, it's just going to be an unknown until Sunday and then as the race unfolds, I'll find out if its a deal breaker or not.  I'm being careful with it but no need to worry about it--it will either be no problem, a minor problem or a major problem and I'll just need to deal with it if and when it unfolds.

Headline on my objective for race day is:

-79 minute swim
-9 minute T1
-5:45 bike (19.5 mph)
-8 minute T2
-6:09 run (14:00 min/mile)

13:30 finish

Based on my training so far all of these are pretty reasonable targets theoretically, but the one thing I've learned about IM is the actual race can be radically different than what is doable in theory.  I'd really just like to have a race that is an "expression" of the hard work and fitness I've built but I realize there is no guarantee of that.  Especially at 62 years of age and with the various body issues I have.

So mostly, I'm just grateful to be here.  To have some nice times with Judy and Anders and some of my IM friends.  It's a gift to actually be able to start one of these things and have reason to believe that I can do it (and maybe pretty well).  I won't have that much longer (if ever again) so I intend to really soak it all in!

Onward and Upward!

rc

No comments: