Friday, November 2, 2018

Quick update from Haines City

Judy and I had a great drive down.  we drove 8 hours on Tuesday and stopped in Florence, SC and a nice dinner in the historic part of town.  Early to bed at the Holiday Inn and then another 8 hours the next day down to Championsgate, where we are staying.

I've been doing all the normal get ready stuff.  Drove the two courses and got all my gear ready.  My mom and sister joined us yesterday afternoon.

Course Update:

My guess at this point is that the swim will be wetsuit legal.  It was 69.8 degrees on Thursday morning but jumped up to 75.2 degrees this morning.  It was very hot today but rained quite a bit tonight.  It's supposed to be quite cool from now until the race so I'm guessing (and hoping) wetsuit legal.

The bike course is pretty nice.  Road surface seems very good.  The first half of each loop is a lot easier than the last 28 miles of each of the two loops.  Definitely some hilly areas and a couple of places with steep descents into sharp turns but generally pretty straight forward.

Run is comical--so many turns!  138 in total.  It's the most convoluted course I've ever seen.  Pretty hilly, will be a challenge!

Weather on race day looks to be a challenge.  High of 85 and very humid with Dew Points north of 70 degrees, which is considered "oppressive".  Also, it looks like we will get some significant rainfall during the run at least (which I generally like) and perhaps for part of the bike.

All good though.  I did have some cramping in my left calf today but I think that might be attributable to all of the hydrating I've been doing.  I took some salt and I think that seems to be addressing the problem....

We had breakfast with Julie Moss this morning and she gave me a copy of her new book--lots of fun reliving that famous "Crawl of Fame" from 1982....

Ready to get after it!

Kara arrives tomorrow morning!

No comments: