Monday, October 7, 2024

Training volume Update--through September

 Here is the summary of my training volume through the first 9 months of 2024:

First up is my monthly Swim volume in yards.  through September I had 237,000 yards, which is about 26k/month.  Relatively light volume given recent years about apparently enough to yield 3 pretty strong open water swim races this year!

My current plan is basically shut down between n ow and the end of the year and start back up in January. I have some thinking to do, but I may designate 2025 as a more swim-focused year....


In terms of the Bike, through the end of September I have put in 7,963 miles or about 885/month.  This is one of the lowest annual totals over the last 10 years or so.  Particularly once I got outside my volume was basically only about 800 miles/month.  None-the-less, I will at least get over 10,000 miles for the year when all is said and done....


My Run/Walk volume has been walk dominated and consistently around 100 miles/month--917 miles through the end of the first 9 months.  While we have a lot of travel, I do expect the last 3 months of the year to be more walk/run focused--perhaps as much as 20-30% more /month.


The major, early story of 2024 was my commitment to PT to rebuild my body post Knee replacement.  I actually started a 7-month program to do so back this time last year.  As you can see below, once most of my training flipped outside (mid-May), I dialed that back and just did a couple of sessions during the summer.  Towards the end of September, I started back-up again and expect Oct-Dec to be similar to Jan-Mar...


This was an unusual year as in past summers, when I train for an Ironman, my summer hours would be the heaviest part of my training but as you can see, I actually backed off a fair bit in my total training time.  Through the end of September I was at 929 hours so I'm still averaging a bit over 100 hours/month.  My objective is to climb back up above that level for the last 3 months of the year....



No comments: