Monday, December 5, 2022

TKR surgery recovery: Day 5

 Right of the flight path with my recovery.  On Friday, poor Judy had to drive use at dusk in a fair amount of rain from Lodi to SFO all the while enduring my directions.  We made it.  We got to the airport 5 hours early (am I becoming my parents?) to manage all the transitional stuff with my knee but it was a real breeze and it turns out the Harvey Milk terminal there is fantastic.  Was able to spread out and find a place to elevate my knee and read and chill prior to the flight.



We left an hour late because the inbound from the East coast was an hour late due to exceptionally strong headwinds.  This in fact turned out to be great news as the same wind actually got us to PHL early despite the late start.  In total our flight time was just over 4 hours, which must be close to a record of some kind.  I wasn't able to elevate my leg, even though we were up in First Class but it didn't matter as the leg felt fine.  I got up to go to the restroom at one point and just used my $11 Walmart cane.

We arrived in Philly and had an easy transit home to our house in DE where I set up shop for the day on my couch watching yet more soccer and the EAGLES!  I did 7 cycles of PT (walking/exercises) and did the last walk without the walker, which has now been retired.  I have a Game Ready Ice Machine and I spent 100 minutes on that--its amazing!


I ended up only taking 1 Percocet during the day (I'm prescribed 6) and after talking to my surgeon decided to take one last night and that chapter is not thankfully closed.  I ended up taking 14 of them out of the 42 they had given me for use over 7 days.  So day 5 is Oxy free! 

I'm settling in for a routine recovery week where I expect to basically do the same stuff every day. 7-8 cycles of PT with gradually lengthening walks--line maybe up to 10 minutes a few times a day by the end of the week--most will stay at 5.  I want to be on the Game Ready for at least 2 hours a day.My range of motion is slowly getting better and when I'm sitting around it occurs to me that I have the least amount of pain I've had in 5-10 years!


Onward and Upward!


No comments: