Monday, December 13, 2021

2021 Training phase review and initial thoughts about 2022 training plan

Find below weekly (trailing 4-week average) Training Hours, Swim Yardage, and Bike/Run Mile charts.  I also highlighted, what I would call different "phases" to my training as the year unfolded.  Here is that interpretation:

1.  Started the year with a major focus on the bike, as part of my "Bike Monster" strategy.  I ramped up to my highest volumes very early in the year as I had set the foundation for that in Nov/Dec 2020 out in Palm Springs.  I actually had my biggest bike mileage the week of 1/18 where I hit 375 miles (including a 164-mile day).  I wasn't able to get into the pool (due to Covid) until that same week and began a big swim surge then.  Due to my knee, I limited my "run" to an occasional hike.

2.  My bike volume began to dip a bit in February as I surged my swim and I had my biggest swim week the week of 2/22 (15,000 yards).

3.  Decided to do Eagleman with Anders as it seemed like Covid might recede a bit and we had our vaccinations and so beginning the week of 4/26 I actually began to run some and ramping that led to lesser volume on the bike/swim.

4.  Generally, from mid April through mid August I was in an Ironman build phase (first to get ready for Eagleman and then get ready for Kona).  My volume didn't really jump (20-25 hours/week of training) but I began to do longer bikes and swims (and rarely longer runs).

5.  In the middle of this build, I threw in a taper/recovery phase around Eagleman, which was a real success for Anders and I.

6.  On 8/19 Kona was cancelled for 2021 and I basically pulled the plug on serious training in 2021.  I still rode a fair bit (because I always do) but my swim began a pretty steady fall-off.  In contrast, I started hiking/walking more (my "run") as I no longer needed to save my legs for Bike Monster.

7.  I basically just exercised (and not that much) from mid-October to mid-November as we had Alex' wedding, Anders IM down at IMFL, and then a mini-vacation down in Florida.

8. Beginning mid-November I began ramping up the bike (especially) and lately the swim (while maintaining a fair amount of hiking).  This has led to a ramp in my total training effort and I actually had my 4th biggest week just this past week--I'm basically replicating the foundation work I did in Nov/Dec last year, but starting just a couple of weeks later.

Here's what all of this looks like in charts:





Looking ahead to 2022, I have decided to do a big Swim/Bike block (with limited run work) during the 1st quarter.  This will look similar to early 2021 but hopefully with more swim volume.  More on my plans later...

One possible blip is we were at a party this weekend and in close contact with someone who tested positive for Covid.  We are fully vaxed, and in pretty decent shape, so hopefully this won't become an issue.  In the mean-time we are laying a bit low and following CDC guidelines....

Onward and upward (I hope)!

 

No comments: