Sunday, February 2, 2020

January Snapshot//Triathlon Database Updated

So January is in the books.  The biggest contextual factor I had to deal with this month is a minor surgical procedure I had that unfortunately led to an incision cite infection that I've had to manage for the last couple of weeks.  It's getting better with the antibiotics I'm taking but it definitely has put a crimp in my training a bit.  Obviously, no swimming but I had planned to take January off anyways but I also had to curtail quite a bit the running I planned to do.  None-the-less, Jan 2020 is pretty similar to Jan 2019 training wise:


                    2020               2019

Swim             0              4,000 yards
Bike             1,245         1,160 miles
Run              48.5            59.5 miles
PT                6:02           5:35
Time            89:33         86:59

I've put a lot of my bike effort in on Zwift where I have just about completed the first 4 (of 10 weeks) of a FTP build.  This is much higher intensity that I did last year.  In fact, I didn't hit this intensity until April last year, and even then, not as much as I'm doing now.  My FTP appears to be around 250 watts, which is certainly fine for this time of the year.

I hope to get a green light soon from my surgeon to ramp up my swim and with that my run as well.

-------

On a different front, I used some of my down time to update and begin to upgrade my Triathlon Race Database.  This is a pretty comprehensive record of key personal and competitive stats for the 157 triathlons I have entered (and 156 I have finished) since 2001.  To give you a sense of what I mean by comprehensive, here is a screenshot of a part of the main database:


This is obviously way over the top as far as the ratio of data/quality of the triathlete goes, but I've always been partial to data and analysis.  Anyways, I've begun a bit of analysis to characterize my 19 year triathlon journey and will be posting a bit on this during the month of February.  To kick things off, I'd thought I'd post a basic summary census of these 156 completed triathlons:


The top of this spreadsheet breaks down the 156 races by distance and year.  I grouped my 1 race in 2001 with the 7 in 2002 and have grouped all of my post 2015 "comeback" races in the 2016-2019 column.  A few observations:

-70% of my triathlons have been "Sprints"
-A bit more than 25% have been long course with 25 Half-IMs and 15 Full IMs
-The Olympic distance appears to be my least favorite as I've done just 7 of them--less than 5%
-The most races in a year has been 14, which happened in four separate years
-After my initial race in 2001, I've managed to race at least 7 times a year up to my back problems in 2015, which led to my taking that whole year off.
-Since 2015, I've raced just 10 times--only twice in 2019.  However, I look to do 5+ this year with Kona obviously being my prime focus.

The bottom of the spreadsheet shows the locations of my races.  Observations:

-Just about half of my races have been in New Jersey
-Delaware and Virginia account for another 20% combined
-I've raced in 18 different states through the years
-About 95% of my races have been in the US
-I've raced 7 times internationally but not since 2013 when I did the Mont Tremblant 70.3

One last observation is the timing of my races.  I've raced in 9 of the 12 months with (not surprisingly) the bulk of the races between May and September:

January          0
February        0
March            5
April             15
May              28
June              29
July               26
August          20
September    20
October         5
November     8
December      0

My 15 Ironman races are decidedly skewed towards the back half of the year:

July                2
August           1
September      2
October          3
November      7

This year I'm looking at possibly racing as early as April,  but certainly by June (Eagleman70.3) and of-course, I'm planning on adding to my October IM count this year as well.

More (lots more) in the days ahead....







No comments: