Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007 Annual Report

A quick review of my training log for 2007 reveals the following data:

934 total training hours which is about 18 hours per week--this is mostly SBR but includes some Yoga and weights as well.

471,855 yards of swimming or about 9100/week--I actually was above 10,000/week but basically took the last 9 weeks of 2007 off from swimming.

8574 miles of biking which is 165 miles/week--this is lower than my prior years as I focused more on my swim and run in 2007.

1510 miles of running or about 29/week.  186 of these miles were in transition runs.

Race wise, I raced 10 times: 1 IM, 4 Half-Iron, 5 sprints.  I also raced in an Aqua-Velo and did 4 running races (2 10 milers and 2 half-marathons).  I had 5 AG wins plus one overall masters win.  Overall, I placed in the top 10 three times with a 3rd place as my best race.  I set PBs at both the IM and H-IM distance

My USAT rating improved to 82+ which will be good enough for All-American status.  I made the USA team and competed in the LCWC in L'Orient, France.

Unfortunately, I did not achieve my prime goal of qualifying for Kona.  I was fit enough but did not get the job done at IMFL in November.

The plan for 2008 is to try again--harder!

Training wise, I'd like to average around 21-22 hours/week with the extra time concentrated in running and 1 extra swim session/week (focused on technique work).  I see my bike volume staying roughly where it was in 2007 but with more H-IM/IM simulation work (extended time at 215-250 watts).  I'd like my run volume to be 35-40 miles/week on average or about 1800-2000 miles for the year.

I got faster again in 2007 which has been true of each of my 6 years in triathlon.  I'm hopeful that this trend will again hold true in 2008.  If so, I should continue to gain on and improve relative to most of my M50-54 competition.  Will it be enough to qualify for Kona?  Time will tell.  There is lots of work to do for sure.  Let it begin!

No comments: