Tuesday, April 18, 2017

It's on!

I must have been subconsciously listening for Anders this morning, and as i heard them going through final prep/packing at 4:30 am this morning i got up to say goodbye.  He was in very good spirits and quite energized.  They had already had breakfast.  We looked up into the Ice Fall above Base Camp and you could clearly see the path illuminated by many climbers who were already making their way up through the Ice Fall--quite an amazing sight--these long squiggly lines of light and the inky black sky above with the myriad of stars.

We said good bye.  Hugged.  I told him I loved him.  He told me he loved me.  It's only been three hours and I miss him already.....

Just (7:50am) heard via radio that they are at 18,400 feet and all systems are go.  They started at 17,350 here around 5am so very good progress.  Their objective, Camp 1 is right at 20,000 feet

The four climbers plan is to get to Camp 1 this morning, or early afternoon and rest.  Two nights at Camp 1 and 2-3 nights at Camp Two, with acclimatization hikes thrown in.  This will be a big step forward in Anders' quest to climb Everest.

I'm preparing to leave with Tsewang, my Sherpa companion, a little later this morning.  we plan to hike down valley to Loboche and then head west and then a little north, hopefully getting to the village of Dzonglha, where I hope to find tea house that Tsewang and i can stay at for the night.  We plan to leave between 9:30 and 10 and i expect to take about 7-8 hours hiking.

Hopefully i can update later today on both Anders and my progress....

No comments: