Thursday, July 28, 2016

Sorry for the silence--quick update

So, when i last left you we were down from Elbrus and getting organized in Terskol--this was Monday.  The next day was to be an easy climb up Mt Cherget--about 12,000 feet--enough to get your blood flowing but not too much given the Elbrus summit.

Unfortunately, back home our beloved doggie, Roxy--who had been battling numerous enemies for the last 3-4 years, took a very bad turn for the worse (she has about 10 seizures over 5-6 hours).  Anders and I immediately decided to pull the plug and head home to help Judy and Jenny.  It took a bunch of effort to figure out how to change plans and get safely home from the hinterlands of the Caucasus Mountains but with a lot of help from Judy and IMG's travel agent we did figure it out.

We left Tuesday morning at 10 and faced by far the most objective dangers of the trip on our ride north from Terskol to Mineral city.    Three hours of object terror--I'll provide more detail in my summit report.  We then flew on to Moscow, during which Judy and Jenny made the decision (fulling discussed and supported by me and the family) to put little Roxy down...heartbreaking....here is a pic of me and Rox during better days...

I tried to be strong but this news put a bunch of chinks in my armor.  None-the-less,  upon arriving in Moscow Anders and i did make our why down from the airport to Red Square where we had a nice meal and toasted our beloved canine friend...

Yesterday involved 12 and 15 hours of airplane time for me and Anders respectively and now we are happily back in the USA--though really missing Roxy...

I'll get back on the program shortly as we celebrate Roxy's life and prepare for your reading 'enjoyment' one of my lengthy Summit Reports--expect it over the next 3-4 days, replete with many pictures.... 

Then its time for Alex and I to turn our attention to the challenges that Kili will no doubt present....stay tuned--it should be an excellent ride!

No comments: