Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Training Stats

Last week--which was an "easy" week, as I employ a 3 hard/1 easy approach--looked like this:

swim: 7,000 yds
bike: 257 miles
run: 19.5 miles
time: 20:52

Of course, this week's numbers were driven by my RAMROD ride (9+ hours, 153 miles) and the following three days of indulgence at Bohemian Grove.

For July, this is how it tallied:

swim: 38,880 yards
bike: 1166 miles
run: 130.5 miles
time: 99:02

For comparison, last July looked like this:

swim: 29,188 yards
bike: 1124 miles
run: 127.3 miles
time: 92:40

So this July, at first glance, looks better.  However, last year, July was really a transition month as I was targeting IMAZ in November.  Perhaps a better benchmark is last August--my first IM build month in 2011:

swim: 35,036 yards
bike: 1212 miles
run: 146.8 miles
time: 100:57

So, pretty close--a little lighter this year on the bike/run--a lot of that is due to the mini-vacation I took at Bohemian Grove.  No worries.  Last year at the end of September (my 2nd build month), I was very fit so the July comparison is probably pretty good--I'm certainly doing the work necessary for a good IM--at least at this point.

I had thought about adding the Brigantine Triathlon to my racing calendar this weekend but I have decided that the best thing is probably for me to try to bring down a big 10-day training block and then race the weekend after this one.  I did a 14.8 mile/2:15 run yesterday and a 101.2 mile ride this morning--I had to race a nasty storm home so my last hour was pretty much all in the 220+ watts zone--well above my IM target output.  So all good--although I was too fried to swim today....but with no race this weekend I have the luxury of waiting to make sure my workouts are all as high a quality as I can muster.

For week 5 of my IM build everything is looking great!

No comments: