Tuesday, June 19, 2012

RAAM Post 24: Welcome to Hell!

Who would have thought that Kansas would be more difficult than the Rockies?  We are at 99 degrees (but it feels like 100!).  The wind is steady 40-50 mph with gusts to 60.  There is a high wind advisory with dangerous driving conditions.  Since this is a south wind and we (of-course) are heading east, we experience this as a very scary side-wind.  No aero-bars.  I almost went down once.  This is the single worse winds I've ever ridden in.

I spent my whole last pull repeating my mantra, over and over again.  I was just trying to not think about it and just keep going to they pulled me off.

We just passed our first soloist, having made up 2 days on him.

Here was my pull from hell:

25:58
7.4 miles
17.0 mph
215 watts
72 rpm

I geared up to put more torque on my rear wheel to try to keep more control....


No comments: