Sunday, March 4, 2012

easy street

So I did not run the race this morning. Went to a dear friend's 50th up in West Chester last night and ended up dancing away until midnight. They had some nice IPA and I felt a little selfish as I thought about not being there party wise for Irv's 50th and slinkin down at 4 am for a half marathon which really (I mean--really) doesn't matter. so I danced and had some IPA and got home at 1am and slept in. this is not say that doing the half would have no value--actually, it would have been great and really helpful for gauging my fitness but I felt focusing on Irv was the better course....I'm either getting old or more mature (although there is a disticnt chance I'm getting older and less mature...)

Truth be, my bod feels a little overworked....maybe I'm getting older and less able to deal with training or maybe the 3 week illness that has totally sidelined my wife has partially felled me....in any event, I wanted this week to be an easier week and so it was....

Interesting enough to me I still feel guilty, both backing off and not racing. I'm experienced enough to know this is really lame thinking--I'm 54 years old and need easy weeks and need to focus on a few select races but it's hard to back off....but still I did...

I'm glad but I'm still a little surprised by my down energy systems....I ran 48:30 for 6 today and didn't want any more....

I've been here before--it's all about Kona on Oct 13th and then killing it at Zona 5 weks later so I can get back to Kona....everything else is mindless blog flotsam and jetsam....

Week totals:

Swim: 6500 yards
bike: 178 miles
Run: 23 miles
Time: 17 hours

Looking ahead, March will be a decidely mixed training month which is probablty what is best....if I get the feeling in late March and come out wanting to kill it--that is most certianly for the good!

more later!

No comments: