Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Last Week & Bike Symphony 1st Movement, Part III

Solid February week again last week:

swim: 7000 yd
bike: 179 miles
run: 40 miles
Time: 19:41

Missed one swim to preserve motivation--I ran 11 miles on a chilly morning and when I arrived at the pool discovered the pool heater had broken and the temp was 74 degrees--I was already very chilled from the run so I went home, took a hot shower and had some chicken noodle soup pulled a quilt on to warm-up. I don't think I'll miss the 2000-yard swim come Kona!

Moved to the next part of my "Bike Symphny 2012". I was moving up to the cusp of High Zone 3 and low Zone 4 wattage and decided to make a strong push into the upper reaches of Zone 4 over the next few weeks leading to my first race on 3/31. This necessitates moving away from the 2X20 format and going to shorter reps, more reps and smaller work/easy ratios. Yesterday I did the first workout of this type as I did 3X10@ 251, 252, 254 watts with 5 easy in between. I want to work towards something more like (3-4)X(10-15)@280 watts over the next 3-4 weeks but we'll see how my body reacts to the training stimulus. I do know that yesterday's workout was relatively easy so I'll jump it up latter this week as I'll still try to hit this twice a week if I can.

Running is strong right now--3 of last 4 weeks at 40+ miles....

No comments: