Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Response to Pwickman question

A week or so ago I received this question:

"I enjoy reading your blog, Randy. A lot of this stuff is useful for a newbie like me.

This post made me think about the benefits of a structured training plan and a coach. I'm a do-it-myself kind of guy. During the winter months I just make sure I'm doing a bit of everything without really structuring anything, and in the spring/summer I will plan out 3-4 week blocks. So a few questions to a more experienced athlete: do you build your own training program? And have you ever worked with a coach? Lastly, if you did, do you think it was worth it? And what benefits did he bring?

I appreciate any feedback you can give me."

My answer:

I do build my own training program and in 2007, I did work the whole year with Peter Reid as my coach. I also worked with a Masters swim coach for a time in 2007. I really benefited from working with them--especially Pete. Here is my current take on coaching vs. self-coaching:

- I think coaches are best for people who are pretty serious about triathloning. I'd say if you work out 12+ hours/week, race 10+ times/year, race IMs, then you proably are pretty serious. If you don't do these things and still want some guidance, buy a plan like Endurance Nation sells, read some books or ask others for advice (or all three).

- For DIY kinda guys, I think a coach is more valuable the less experienced you are. I definitely learned some things from Pete--things I still use today.

-If you're not a DIY person and you're serious, and can afford it--get a great coach.

-Swimming strikes me as the most technique dependent of the three disciplines and getting some help there (especially if you don't come from a swimming background) is wise.

-One of the biggest benefits in working with Pete was I was always motivated to work hard. As a result I got in great shape and raced a couple of my best ever races with his guidance.

-I also, towards the end, got burned out.

-My main thesis is that if: 1. you are very serious about traithlon; 2. you understand the science of triathlon training because you've worked with a coach before and/or you have read a ton and talked to lots of experienced triathletes and you continue to do so; 3. you've personally experimented with a fair number of training approaches and have a sense of what works and what doesn't; 4. you are in tune with your body and know when you are triathlon fit and not; 5. you think broadly about all the stress in your life and understand how it affects your motivation to train; 6. you are honest with yourself and are more than willing to back off when your body and/or mind tells you to do so; 7. you are willing to track what you do and be prepared to modify your approach if your analysis indicates that you should....

if most of these are more true than they are not then you should self coach....if not, seriously consider getting some help.

at a personal level, I did it myself for 6 years before I got a coach. I should have done so sooner. However, the bright side is after just 1 year I was pretty much good to go and now in my 12th year, I feel very solid that doing it myself is the only way forward for me.

Hope this helps...

1 comment:

PWickman said...

A much appreciated and informative response. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

As for now I think I'll remain my own coach, but perhaps I'll re-evaluate next time I go to the big dance.