Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January in the books

So the first month of 2012 is done. Damn--the advance of time scares me. does not seem to let up and I know what happens at the end....

I think it was a very effective month of training for me. Here are the aggregate stats:

Swim: 30,600 yards
Bike: 748 miles
Run: 166 miles
Time: 81 hours

Last year, the same totals were:

Swim: 35,250 yards
Bike: 733 miles
Run: 164 miles
time: 84 hours

So, pretty comprable. I'm psyched about this--despite how close the numbers are, I feel like I'm way ahead this year as compared to last year. Last year (2010), my "A" race was Kona which was in early October. After that race I took about six weeks "easy". I used December 2010 as a transition month and then I hit it pretty hard in January 2011. This year, my "A" race was right before Thanksgiving so I took it "easy" for a few weeks in Decembe 2011 and used January 2012 as an easy month recovery vehicle but also tried to get myself ready for the work of 2012.

I feel like I've been successful. I'm very motivated. I just completed my last knee injection cycle so I'm way ahead of last year and the major knee problem I had deal with last year. My shoulder seems to be recovered. I'm about 7 pounds ligher than last year at this time. My swim is very solid despite taking a week off in January for my new tattoo. My run is getting better by the day and could be a source of real improvement in 2012. I rode 46 miles today (it was 58 degrees) and I can still feel the love....

Could be setting up for a great year....

No comments: