Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ironman 70.3WC

I'm heading tomorrow night off to Henderson, NV for the Ironman70.3 World Championship. I get in around midnight so i won't have much spare time before the race starts at 6:35 am on sunday morning.

I'm treating this race as a high quality brick. It's a fresh-water, non-wetsuit swim so it'll be slow for me. The bike course has 2000+ ft of climbing (I think), with a net elevation gain of 500 feet or so (point to point course) and can be windy. I'm bringing my road bike and training wheels and will mostly be interested in my power output. The run is all up and down with I believe 6 significant hills. The forecast is for the 90s....but it'll be a dry heat as they say.

So should be a slow day. If I had to guess I'd say 37-40 minutes on the swim, 6-8 minutes of transition time (T1 and T2), 2:50 or so on the bike and probably 2 hours on the run...probably a 5:30-5:45 kind of a day--my 4:43 PR certainly won't be threatened!

I've been giving my body a bit of a break this week to try to calm down some of my niggling soft tissue issues and I frankly needed it after a pretty robust 6-week training block. I'm looking forward to going hard on Sunday and then settling back in to the routine....

I'll update you from Nevada!

No comments: