Monday, January 24, 2011

Training and Optimism

Was thinking about this as I pushed the last 50 of one of my 250s in the pool today--as my body was screaming at the discomfort it was feeling:

Racing is all about Ego. You set an aggressive goal--beat a time or beat your competitors and in the race it's all about striving to get the satisfaction of doing so. It's all about you. (I know you can race for other reasons--it's fun and a social experience for example--but I don't race triathlons execpt to hit my goals).

Training on the other had is such an optimistic thing. It's inherently optimistic. I'm going to do all of this work and the reason (or at least one of the main reasons) I'm doing it is because I expect/hope to do something great in the future....I think this is one of the reasons I feel so good when I'm training hard....

No comments: