Friday, June 4, 2010

Injury update

Here is a quick update on progress on my three injuries:

1. ruptured bursa in my right elbow: swelling is about 95% gone now. The area is still tender and I can feel scar material in there when I press on the area but my elbow is 100% functional and this in jury has no impact on my swimming.

2. Extensor tendonitis in my left foot: After backing off of cycling for 3-4 days, I've been aggressive about icing my foot and using Voltarin cream. I've also left my left bike shoe unstrapped during my rides the last 10 days. On Wednesday of this week I was able to get through a 115-mile ride with only modest discomfort and that concentrated over the last 20 miles or so. This seems to be under control but I'll have to stay viligant to keep it that way. I'll probably ride IM Germany with my straps very loose.

3, Left hip problems. This has been the most difficult to deal with but after 5 weeks of therapy I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. My 3rd 115-mile ride was 19 minutes faster than the 2nd and 31 minutes faster than the first. Also, this last ride was in 91 degree heat. Encouragingly, I was able to stay in the aero position for over 85% of the time and my hip did not get real sore and stiff likei t had for much of the last 6 weeks since my bike accident. Rudy was able to isolate a major issue which basically has major elements of my left hip flexor complex "shut-down". We are doing some cool exercises to re-boot my hip flexors and I've noted a great deal more openess and much less pain there over the last week. rudy thinks I need at least 3-4 more weeks but I'm getting optimistic that we might get this solved in time for IM Germany.

I'm racing tomorrow at Jersey Genesis and I intend to really let it rip on the bike and see if I can deliver a bike ride more consistent with my past performances over the last 3-4 years. This will be a major test of my fitness and readiness to hammer and will be an important indicator for me as I race Eagleman the following week.

No comments: