Thursday, May 6, 2010

Belated Update

Sorry about the extended period of radio silence--much going on since the last post and I have been quite busy with it all. Hopefully this update will fill in the gaps.

Physical Therapy--upon further review

I've had 3 sessions and my PT now believes that I suffered a small tear in my left hamstring when I had my bike accident a few weeks back. Since then, during racing and training, my body has been compensating trying to protect the hammie. As a result, I have a whole host of interrelated muscle flexibility, lessions, strength issues--these are concentrated in and around my upper left leg. The most glaring of which is in my hip flexors. I also have issues in my Psoas muscle which runs very near to where one normally gets a hernia--which thankfully I don't have.

Anyways, rudy is otimistic that he can make things right over the next few weeks and I have begun to feel some progress. The therapy itself is quite painful and I have quite a great deal of brusing on the front, outside and back of my upper left leg. My biking seems to be improving as I have been able to do a couple of longish rides where I didn't have the trouble staying aero that I had in new Orleans. I hope to return to normal IM bike training next week and plan on getting a ride in of at least 100 miles. My run volume is way down (only 12 miles last week) and probably will continue to be so for a couple of more weeks. I have begun training on the Alter G, which is an anti-gravity treadmill--very cool. I'll tell you more about it later but I did a run yesterday where I cruised at 9-9.5 mph for close to an hour--albeit, at only 70% of my body weight.

My elbow, shoulder and swimming all seem fine. I do have quite a bit of swelling still from the broken bursa and will probably need to get it drained again next week--but this is not interfering with any of my training--I just have a very big elbow.

Last month

Here are the stats from last month--you can see the impact of my accident, New Orleans and my trip to amangiri on my run and swim volume--I did do a pretty good job of keeping the biking volume up:

Swim: 26,000 yards
Bike: 920 miles
Run: 91 miles
Time: 87 hours

Amangiri

Went with Judy for five days to SW Utah for a lot of trekking in around the Amangiri resort. A big highlight was a long trek through Bryce Canyon. We had a great time and it was nice to stay physically active but not in the tradional SBR way.

Racing

I had to strike a 5k from my schdeule due to the hip problem but am hopeful to race this weekend in a longish, local sprint. I just want to see how much I've lost due to this little set-back and also see if i can stay aero and produce reasonable amounts of power over 20+ miles. It would also be nice to race a SC race after opening with to two 70.3s.

Personal

Lots going on. Jen graduating. Kara moving to new apartment. Jen moving home and then needing to look for a new apartment. Lots of (successful) work going on...all good but leading to an overly full life--oh well, I suppose better than the alternative!

No comments: