Wednesday, May 19, 2010

19:14 5K!!! and other tales from the PT world

So I'll have the Devilman race report up in the next day or so. sorry for the delay but we've been focused on Jenny's graduation which was a truly great event this past weekend.

I'm in a very weird place where I'm 45 days out from IM Germany--and doing IM specific training while still recovering from a pretty significant hip/leg problem that in part stems from my bike crash of 4-5 weeks ago. I've had a lot of problems on both the bike and the run and my training volume had been negatively impacted for sure. That said, I've been pursuing very aggressive PT treatment while training hard (and even racing) and it all seems to be working (at least I think).

I banged out a 114+ mile ride last week and again today (13 minutes and 5 watts better). Last Saturday i was able to run pretty well for 14 miles. I did an Alter-G workout yesterday where i ran for 30 minutes at 7:00/mile and then cruised through a 19:14 5K (at 70% of my body weight--lol). My hip and leg are definitely getting better but I'm probably still several weeks away from being "normal".

The PT is intense, very painful and one of my least favorite things. Rudy thinks I need another month at least which will bring me right up to my taper for IM Germany--jeez!

Maybe there is a silver lining here--I'm definitely improving fitness wise and I won't be past my peak as I have often been for IMs in the past. I just hope I can get fit enough--we'll see.

1 comment:

Tri-James said...

With you “saving” the legs you will come peak for this ironman strong!