Monday, April 5, 2010

Crash! Ouch!

So riding back--about 1.5 miles from home/40+ miles into my very enjoyable ride today. Pumping and pushing as I like to hammer home the tough hills leading to my house. Just at the bottom of the last descent I jump up and begin a tough climb and I hear a "bang". My pedals/cranks freeze up. since I'm on the hoods I hit the breaks immediately.

I have no idea what's going on but apparently my chain has broken and jammed. Next (again apparently), the chain dumps into my rear wheel causing it to lock up. since I'm doing 20 mph or so the rear wheel skids and begins to fishtail. I try to recover but the rear end whips out left and my attempt to steer into the skid causes me to jack-knife. I launch endo over the front handle bars and crash hard down on my head and right shoulder. I quickly stop as I am on a sharp incline and I think I bounced a bit.

I check for traffic and quickly get off the road. A quick assessment of the damage indicates that both I and my Cervelo are remarkably OK. I have contusions, scrapes and blood on my right shoulder and elbow, my right butt, and my left lower leg. Remarkably the bike, save not having a chain seems ok.

I call Judy and she comes and rescues me. Back at home we both freak a bit when I take my shirt off and discover what appears to be a much larger bump where my surgically repaired right AC last experienced a 3rd degree separation. We are both convinced that we have seen this movie before.

Off to the ortho. X-rays. And miracles of miracles, no separation. the x-rays uncover a previously unrecognized bone growth on top of the surgically repaired area. doc says I am good to go and to be more careful--note to self, figure out how I could have been in this situation.

On my way to NYC for biz tonight. All banged up and very sore. worried about my Cervelo. Jeez, this is not an easy sport!

Thanks to Judy for helping me and hanging with me at the doc and giving me some TLC!

Onwards and upwards!

No comments: