Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Crash! Ouch! Part 3

Feeling generally better today. Shoulder is not as sore--will probably attempt an easy swim today. Right buttocks pain has diminished significantly.

However, I have one lingereing (and potentially significant issue). I either have a contusion to my medial satorius muscle of my left leg or I some how strained it. The former is much more likely. The satorius is part of the quadriceps muscle group (although not one of the big 4 that give it the name). It starts on the outside of the hip, crosses over the upper thigh and runs down the inside of the thigh to above the knee. It assists in raising the thigh during running and to a lesser extent in cycling.

I have visible contusions and cuts on my mid lower leg down to my ankle. These were caused when my bike jack-knifed--the bike fell on it's left side (the non-drive side thankfully) and I launched up and over and I'm postulating striking my inner left leg against the top tube or perhaps the handlebar complex. I was aware that I had bruised my inner thigh but awoke yesterday and today with the inability to raise my left leg effectively.

This is most certainly a contusion as I would normally feel higher groin weakness or pain in my outer hip if I had strained the muscle. Running is out of the question but I am going to attempt to spin easily on my trainer today and see what happens. I'm certainly in no condition to do a long course race today but with 10 days to New Orleans I'm hopeful that I'll be good to go then.

This is not ideal from a training perspective--today was my key run workout: 5 X 1 mile @ 7:00-7:10 on the track and that obviously won't happen. tomorrow was spupposed to be a 6 hour ride and I'd say that's gone as well. Oh well. while I want to go fast at New Orleans, it is a B race and everything I'm doing in this Meso-cycle is geared towards IM Germany on July 4th. If anything, my fast half is suppossed to come at Eagleman.

In any event, it is what it is. Not ideal but certainly given the range of outcomes in a violent crash like I had it's not so bad. Plus, I already have my slot!

No comments: