Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bad news/good news from the front

Raced my first 5k of the season and quite a while today.

I did really poorly. I ran a 23:32 when I expected to easily manage a 21:30. My splits/HR were: 6:53/159; 7:10/172; 7:38/172 and for the last 0.1: 0:52/171.

The course was relatively easy except for the last 0.1 which was straight up a steep hill for some reason.

In my defense, it was 19 degrees with 30-45 mph winds and wind-chills of 2-5 degrees. The wind was a factor and I'll give the benefit of the doubt as a result. but I am quite disappointed. I'm 20 pounds lighter with a lot of good running work in and I',m as slow as I've ever been.

It is what it is. I guess I'm the 22:30 5k guy with the most potential! we'll see. I need to get under 21 in an open race to really be a factor....

On the good news front. I did get a 56 mile ride in outside (hard to do with all the snow and cold/wind) this week and I did my Saturday swim 100s all in the 1:18-1:23 range with the last 7 all under 1:20.

I would have been a happy clam with a 21:30 today (modest a number as it is!)

ended the week with 19:26 of training/172 miles on the bike/38 miles running/7.5k in the pool.

Need to work hard and create the capacity to do hard work without working so hard!

1 comment:

Tri-James said...

I PR'd at the 5k (19:09) in Feb and March of last year when I was just beginning my ironman training.

I have been doing much longer distances but I don't think I am anywhere close to a 5k PR anymore.

I think all of the training does "slow you down" a fair amount.

I am going to try the 5k again (at the same races) and give it everything I have to break into the 18's.

We will see.