Friday, December 18, 2009

Speed on the bike 2

So among other things I did my second speed session on the bike today. I essentially replicated the w/o of 5-6 days ago with an important modification. I did the single-leg drills and the two 10 min. high (113-115 rpm) cadence sections. For the mixed mode ladder I started at 6 minutes and then stepped through the same intensity pattern as before (with the same 2:1 work:easy ratio. So it looked like this:

6 min @ 220+ watts/3 min spin
5 min @ 230+ watts/2.5 spin
4 min @ 250+ watts/2 spin
3 @ 270+ watts/1.5 spin
2 @ 290+ watts/1 spin
1@ 325+ watts/.5 spin

This actually represented quite an increase in total workload from session one:

session one speed workload: 15 minutes @ 246 average watts

Session two speed workload: 21 minutes @ 252 average watts

While the first session was well within my current fitness envelope the second one was definitely closer to the edge--I was still able to comfortably do the work sessions but definitely had to motivate to do so!

It's interesting to note that all of my best half-IM watts have averaged 222-228 watts in the past so this w/o starts there and builds. Based on my body's response to the above I'd say my current functional threshold power is probably in the 220-240 watt range. Before IMFL 2007 I had it tested at Cadence and it measured 293 watts. I'll need to get it up to at least 275 watts by Ocenaside. Should be doable.

In my next speed session I won't increase the overall workload by nearly as much as I did between sessions one and two (which was probably a 45% increase). I'll shoot for maybe another 5-10% increase--after that it'll get much tougher....

No comments: