Monday, August 25, 2008

Venti coffee at Starbucks

Hey gang--good morning. sorry for not getting on last night--the internet was down in my hotel and I just didn't feel like going for a walk--at a starbucks this morning working on my recovery.

I'll give you the details latter but here are the highlights: Decent, but a little slow swim--definitely fatigued over the last 1000 meters, but got the job done. Tried to be conservative early on the bike but then my front deraileur went out of commission at about 15 miles in. I could not shift from small to big ring. this obviously didn't help but I worked around it by getting of my bike and moving the chain by hand a bunch of times and by riding in the wrong chain ring for a lot of the race. I knew I was fried right from the start of the run and quickly went into survival mode. I was significantly dehydrated from the bike (this is an on-going problem for me) and it took me most of the "run" to catch up. I was on an over 13 hour pace at 22 when my ego kicked in and I ran pretty hard (considering) down the stretch to sneak in under 13 for a small victory. This led to about an hour in the med tent as my blood pressure plummeted pst race. I got VERY cold and had some intense muscle cramps so post race this was my hardest IM.

I didn't get the job done on Kona--the bike issues hurt but I'm not sure it would have made any difference as I was way behind the hydration curve. This is a blessing in disguise because it would be stupid of me to try to do Hawaii in 7 weeks--my body has had enough. doing 2 in 6 weeks probably wasn't that good of an idea either. anyways, I'm now on an IM sabatical--at least for next year and looking forward to hoisting a few with many of you (or is that hoisting many with a few of you) when I return.

Peace!

rc

No comments: