Friday, August 15, 2008

So how's the weather anyways?

I know some people that love to race when it's hot. Not that they go faster but they have learned through experience that they slow down less than others. I also know some people who always do worse when it gets hot. Then there's me. I must be the worst triathlete in the world when it comes to handling heat and humidity. My two H-IMs this year are great examples of this. the addage that the weather's the same for everybody just isn't true.

So I look very closely and nervously at weather forecasts. Since we are now 9 days away from race day we can now get our first look at a forecast. the weather in Penticton has been very, very hot over the last 30 days. Tomorrow the high is forecasted to be 100! However, the current forecast for the 24th is just 80 and mostly cloudy. Of-course, this can change a lot between now and then. in fact, this morning when I first looked at the forecast for Sunday it called for 75 and partly cloudy. Frankly, I'd take either in a heartbeat--I've got a chance to race well in those conditions. At 100 degrees this goose is cooked.....hopefully the forecast will hold up.

3 comments:

Burke said...

Randy,

A little help with the weather! Remember our training run in Cincinnati(1980's)? Recall it was
-8F, we met at Walter Labrowski's house and the three of us went out for a 10 miler. On our return home you ran into trouble with the heat or lack of it and went into hypothermia. You were slurring your words and couldn't move your fingers. We stoped at gas station for the heat. You recovered but we had to cancel the rest of the run.

Now when you are in Canada and if it is hot, just remember that day. I'm sure it will cool things a bit. Maybe if you had some body fat it might help as well!

elementsoferin337 said...

Penticton can be hot. The longer term forcast is now predicting 77F as the high with possible rain.

I will be keeping my eye out for you on the course.

Race well!

Erin Lee

elementsoferin337 said...

The longer term forecast is not calling for a hight of 77F and possible rain.

Enjoy and I will keep an eye out for you on the course.

Erin Lee