Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Planes and perspectives

5 days out now. I am heading to the airport this afternoon and will arrive in Vancouver tonight. Hopefully, I'll gather all my stuff, jump in my rental can cruise about 90 minutes east and crash in some no-tell motel for the night. Up early on Wednesday I should be able to hit Penticton in the morning tomorrow.

Nice run last night and a better session in the pool very early this morning. Just 60 minute bike ride latter this morning before I finish packing.

Still nervous. It's hard not worry about all sorts of things that can go against you in an IM. some you can control and you really want to get these right. And some you can't. I'm trying hard to bring a little perspective into this. I'm very lucky to be healthy and fit enough to even try one of these things--I'm getting up there in years now. I have a supportive family and friends and I have financial ability to do this when so many people in the world have trouble finding enough to eat--that's an easy one to lose sight of. It's a grand event--as epic a thing as I will see this year. I'm sure all sorts of things will happen and it will be a very rich, "alive" experience. I may fail in any number of ways and I'll be fine with all that comes with that. Realistically, I'm the only person who really is hung up on how I perform. Everyone else I know just wants me to be safe and ultimately content. I've trained reasonably well and that work sits as potential in my body. I've done 5 of these already so I do bring a little experience with me. I'm pretty sure when it comes down to it I'll do my best and that will be that.

That said, I'm still nervous.

1 comment:

Burke said...

Good Luck #80!

Positive thoughts your way!

Better buy that ticket to Kona!