Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mellow Mojo

Slept in to 7:40 today--a full nine hours--which is as much as I did in 5 days before IM austria. Nice breakfast at the Lodge and then down to the lake for a 40 minute swim. The buzz around here has been how cold the water was--consensus was 55 degrees-yesterday. However, big change today. I'd say about 64-65 degrees--a little nippy at first but just about perfect. The lake was calm and clear and my shoulder felt fine for once. Great swim!

Talked to Cadence and they helped me clear up a last nagging technical issue on my bike (those guys are great!). Went out and rode the marathon course. Ended up doing 90 minutes and the bike is good to go. I felt very good on the bike.

The run course is quite difficult, especially between about 9 and 17 miles. Some pretty impressive climbs and descents. There is a real monster at 15 that I'm sure will have a big impact on my day on Sunday. By far the hardest run course I've ever seen in an IM (all the others were essentially flat) and maybe the hardest triathlon run course I've ever had to deal with. As I mentioned yesterday, the bike course is also no slouch with 10 significant climbs including 2 real big ones. I don't think it's as slow as IMWI but it probably is just about as hard. I'll let you know more about that after Sunday.

So generally, a nice morning and afternoon. I feel like I'm getting my Mojo back (in a mellow way) and I'm beginning to lock-in mentally on Sunday.

All of this was tempered by some bad news out of Florida. Not surprising, but bad none-the-less....smoke 'em if you got 'em cause someday you won't...

No comments: