Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Home Stretch: 5 down and 1 to go.

Well it's been 5 weeks since IMAUS and I'll find out next Sunday if my two IMs in 6 weeks made any sense. Here is how the totals for the five weeks since Austria look:

Week 1: 4 hours/0 yds swim/44 miles bike/5 miles run
Week 2: 16 hrs/7k yds/192 mi/17 mi
Week 3: 25 hrs/12k yds/287 mi/42 mi
Week 4: 20 hrs/10k yds/225 mi/36 mi
Week 5: 10 hrs/9k yds/106 mi/14mi

Next week of course is mostly about rest, travel and then racing. I have about 5-6 hours of training before race morning. I have a little bit of the mid-taper body-funk going on although not as bad as normal as counting the 2 weeks prior to IMAUS, I've basically tapered/rested 4 of the last 7 weeks. Not a typical "A" race IM prep but here we are. I would have liked to put more training in the tank but a hectic non-tri schedule has eaten into my training time.

I spent 4 hours this morning working with my bike tech trying to figure out how to take apart and put back together (and fit into my travel case) my BMC TT01 Time Machine. I love this bike and it is a proven speed demon in long course races but this is the first time I will fly with it to a race. What a pain. It has such a complicated design that I know I will be stressed a fair amount until I put it back together next Wednesday.

The weather forecast is murky. Weather.com is now calling for 82 degrees and rain showers which I'm ok with although I'm sure it will create a very sketchy set of descents on the bike. The local Canadian forecast is still for highs above 90 so we'll see. It was 101 degrees there yesterday.

No comments: